Whitsunday Catchment Landcare is seeking a part-time Revegetation Officer.
If you are keen to work in the outdoors, care about our natural environment, are physically fit and either have previous experience in the field or are willing to learn, read on.
To apply for the position please submit:
- A cover letter succinctly addressing the selection criteria listed in the full position description.
- Your resume.
- The names and contact details of at least two referees.
Applications for this position should be marked “Private and Confidential” and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Monday 13th March 2023. Alternatively, you can use the form at the bottom of this page.
Whitsunday Catchment Landcare Inc. (WCL)
|Position Title:||Revegetation Officer|
|Location:||Proserpine, Whitsundays, Qld|
|Term of Employment: Type of Position:||Contract – until 30th October 2024 Part-time, 22.8 hours per week to 38 hours per week.|
|Remuneration:||Annual salary equivalent of $43 400 to $46980 plus allowances.|
Remuneration and Hours
The position is Temporary Part-time and attracts the equivalent to an annual full-time salary range of $43 400 to $46980 based on Gardening and Landscaping Services Award Level 1 to 3; plus allowances, plus 9.5% super, locality allowance and 17.5% annual leave loading. The position is paid on the basis of three (3) and occasionally up to five (5), 7.6 hour days or 22.8 to 38 hours per week.
The position is three (3) days per week, normally consisting of three (3) x 7.6 hour working days from Monday to Wednesday of each week, with a range of working hours (early starts and/or late finishes will be required depending on the work planned). Additional days may be available dependent upon other funded projects.
The Whitsunday Catchment Area includes catchments of all coastal streams from Brisk Bay in the north to St Helens Creek in the south. The position is based at the Whitsunday Catchment Landcare Office & Community Nursery site, in Proserpine. The position is required to work cooperatively with members of the WCL team, staff from Whitsunday Regional Council, Reef Catchments NRM & NQDT NRM Groups and well as local land managers.
Whitsunday Catchment Landcare Inc. (WCL) is a community, not-for-profit, incorporated association and is governed by an executive management committee in accordance with the provisions of the Associations Incorporation Act. The Whitsunday Rivers Catchment Strategy states that “The Whitsunday Rivers will provide a resource base that facilitates sustained economic prosperity for the region, coupled with a healthy and ecologically diverse environment.” WCL implements various NRM programs in the Whitsunday Catchment Area in cooperation with various NRM stakeholders.
The position reports directly to the WCL Landcare Officer or other designated officer (under the authority of the Coordinator and WCL Management Committee) for workplace related issues & to the Team Leader for daily activities. Work activities will be required to be reported daily using Fulcrum & WCL worksheets/timesheets.
Purpose of Position
To work as part of a small team to assist with revegetation/rehabilitation activities, as directed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake revegetation activities including site preparation, planting, watering, fertilizing, mulching, installing plant guards.
- Undertake weed control activities including, but not limited to: manual, mechanical and chemical control.
- Safely operate motorised chemical application equipment e.g. Quikspray, splatter gun and other small plant and equipment e.g. brush cutters and to ensure that such equipment and vehicles are maintained in clean, working order. Faults are to be reported to the WCL Landcare Officer or WCL Coordinator.
- Load, unload, move materials and equipment.
- Maintain accurate records of work undertaken via Fulcrum and timesheets.
- Conduct seed collection, plant propagation and other nursery duties.
- Participate in the preparation of property assessments and site specific workplans.
- Comply with all Codes of Practice and Safe Operating Procedures.
- Undertake other duties as directed by the Landcare Officer & the WCL Coordinator.
Key Selection Criteria
SC1 Demonstrated experience in or intention to gain practical experience in natural area restoration, weed control, revegetation, vegetation identification, acquire knowledge of local native plant species as well as the local environmental and declared weeds.
SC2 Demonstrated level of written and verbal communication.
SC3 Demonstrated ability to commit to workplace attendance and work with a small team to ensure duties are performed to set standards and within established timeframes.
SC4 Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of principles and practices associated with risk assessment, workplace health and safety and commitment to their implementation.
SC5 Demonstrated enthusiasm & intention to undertake Conservation & Land Management Studies- Certificate II or III, to obtain the qualification or hold this qualification or similar.
- A current Driver’s licence.
- Current certificates or willingness to obtain on commencement: First Aid and Unrestricted Commercial Operators Licence under the Agricultural Chemicals Distribution Act.
- Willingness to undertake additional training as required e.g. risk management, chainsaw Operation, defensive driving.
- Experience or willingness to learn the use & maintenance of a variety of small plant and equipment relevant for use in revegetation projects, such as quikspray, splatter gun and a variety of hand tools and equipment- mattocks, shovel, spray packs, whipper snipper etc.
The role can be physically demanding at times. You will be required to carry out field work such as weed management, site assessment and revegetation works during the summer months when temperatures and humidity can be quite extreme. There is also the risk of exposure to snakes, insects and spiders when working in the field. Driving long distances on sealed and unsealed roads will be required. Care for self and others and appropriate actions must be taken at all times by all WCL Officers, to reduce risks and ensure the safety of themselves and others. It is a requirement that WCL health and safety policies and procedures are followed.
- WCL is an equal opportunity employer.
- A “No Smoking” policy applies in all WCL vehicles and buildings.
- All WCL employees are responsible for maintaining a safe, equitable and harassment free workplace.
For more information
Contact Christine Peterson at email@example.com